Summary of Interests
I am interested on working on projects with people who share my interests in creating beautiful landscapes as well as promoting sustainable landscape practices.
Summary of Qualifications
Skilled, knowledgeable, loyal and conscientious, self motivated learner with a strong work ethic. Strong technical skills ranging from horticulture, business, and technology. Works well independently as well as with a team.
Landscape Assistant (Drafter and estimator) Breezy Hill Nursery • 3/2015 – Current
- Prepared presentation and construction plans for landscape projects of all sizes
- Prepared estimates and quotes for Landscape projects projects up to 6 figures
- Became proficient in LandFx and Autocad as well as quoting software
- Broadened knowledge of plant and hardscape materials and construction methods.
- Prepared WI DNR Shoreline permit applications for Landscape Department
- Converted Website from static HTML site to WordPress and added searchable Plant catalog
- Created Website articles and Blog post content
Horticulturist Anderson Japanese Gardens • 3/2006 – 2/2015
- Performed all the necessary duties for the maintenance and expansion of one of the highest quality Japanese Gardens in North America.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability of the principles, practices, and methods of aesthetic pruning of trees and shrubs in the Japanese style.
- Planning, organizing and implementation of the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program.
- Developed and maintained computerized database for pesticide applications.
- Implemented organic turf care regimen as well as other organic pest controls such as biological controls.
- Performed garden construction and maintenance tasks including ponds, waterfalls, paths, bamboo and cedar fencing, and irrigation systems.
- Provided horticultural tours and presentations to various guests and audiences.
Garden Blogger YourGardenSanctuary.com • 8/2012 – Current
- Developed, maintained and managed self hosted website.
- Generated monthly search traffic in excess of 10,000 Unique Visitors for every month since March 2014 including over 34,000 in May 2016.
- Achieved a #1 spot rank in Google search results for the following keywords: “Trees for wet areas”, “Japanese Garden pruning”, and “Tricolor beech”
- Learned and implemented SEO techniques which have resulted in numerous other Google 1st page search results.
- Produced high quality blog content related to my horticultural pursuits.
- Developed skills in WordPress management, CSS, and HTML.
- Developed and Maintained a Facebook Fan page (www.facebook.com/yourgardensanctuary)
- Gave presentations to various organizations and groups on gardening topics
Risk Management Coordinator Member Insurance Agency • 5/1997 – 8/2005
- Consulted with small business owners on steps to reduce their risk to accidental losses.
- Managed a department with a staff of 3 subordinates and a budget of over $250,000
- Gave presentations on Loss control and Safety at COOP markets as well as at individual insureds and prospects locations.
- Produced written materials for COOP publications, as well as safety training materials.
- Worked for the number one insurer of independent hardware stores, lumberyards and garden centers.
Loss Control Consultant Sentry Insurance • 4/1995 – 5/1997
- Inspected and consulted with business to insure compliance with Insurance Company standards for fire and employee safety and health.
- Made recommendations to improve clients operational level of safety
- Provided training presentations on a variety of topics including Hazard Communication, Lock Out/Tag Out, Blood borne pathogens, and Confined Space.
- Performed joint sales calls with field sales representatives.
Receiving Clerk and Sales Clerk • Osco Drug 1990-1995
- Spent one year as Full Time Receiving Clerk after High School
- Sales Clerk Duties Part time during College
- Experienced in Retail setting dealing with customers
Certifications & Licenses
- Certified Arborist #IL-5373A International Society of Aboriculture
- Previous Licensed Pesticide Applicator State of Illinois
- Associate in Risk Management Insurance Institute of America
- Member of Midwest Ecological Landscape Alliance (MELA)
Autocad, Land F/X, Photoshop CS 5, Sketchup, Realtime Landscape Pro, HTML, WordPress, Word, Excel,
- Associates of Science, Horticulture College of Lake County • 2011 • GPA: 3.9 on 4.0 scale
- Bachelor of Science, Occupational Safety Illinois State University • 1994 • GPA: 3.6 on 4.0 scale
Select Continuing Education & Seminars
- Illinois Landscape Contractors Association
- Institute Design Seminar: Planting Design
- Institute Design Seminar: Public Area Design
- School of Chicago Botanic Garden
- Planting Design
- Design Patterning
- The Planted Landscape
- Plan Graphics for Landscape Designers
- Bonsai: Beginner – Basics and Fundamentals
- Bonsai: Novice – Development Techniques
- Business of Gardening
- Urban Forestry and Arboriculture Conference – Natural Path Forestry
- Natural Landscaping Seminar – McHenry County College
- 2014 Conference – North American Japanese Garden Association
- Growing Living Soil with Native Landscaping – College of Lake County
- Fundamentals of GIS – University of California, Davis – Coursera
- Aquascapes Contractor Academy Hands On Training – Aquascapes
- Morton Arboretum
- Conifer RX Seminar
- Urban Tree Growth Symposium
- Tree Risk Assessment Symposium
- McHenry County Conservation District – Ecological Restoration program seminars
- Plants of Wetlands
- Plants of Prairies and Savannas
- Woody Plants & Ecological Restoration
- Restoring Vegetation
- Invasive Plant Management
- Geology and Soils
- Woody Plants II: Tree and Shrub Identification in Winter
- United States Botanic Garden and the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- Landscape for Life™ Train the Trainer webinar series
Click here for more information on my personality and work traits.